Friday, September 2, 2011

The Roller Coaster Ride Continues

The bad news...after further review the surgery is too complex for the two liver surgeons in Austin to do, so the Thursday surgery is off. They advised me that there is only one shot at this surgery and my best chance is to talk with a liver transplant center and see if they can help. It wouldn't be a transplant, but they are equipped to deal with more complex surgical cases.

The good news...Eric's Mom's neighbor is the Chair of the Department of Surgery at The UT Health Science Center in San Antonio, which just so happens to have a good liver transplant program. I spoke with one of the three transplant surgeons today and their team is going to review my scans and I will see them next week to discuss. In the next week or two we will likely fly to Arizona and discuss the resection with the Mayo Clinic's transplant team as well.

More good news...PET scan was all clear except the liver tumor.

I am finding that we truly have to take all of this one day at a time...some days even one hour at a time.

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Stacie -

    Alexis shared your blog with me.... I just wanted to say HI and let you know that I am thinking about you guys and praying for you! I also went to the Mayo clinic last year (obviously diff circumstances) and it was the best thing I could have done. I love them. Anways, I hope that you find answers there. Your kids are so beautiful! Thinking about you and your fam...

    XO
    Lindsey Oldham

    ReplyDelete