Monday, November 14, 2011

Beginning of Chemo Day 1

By request, I am updating from my chair for the day :) I just got settled and have a thrilling seven hours ahead of me. The schedule for the day is as follows:

1 hour nausea meds (getting pre-mediciated because my Dr. promised I would not be nauseous!)
2 hours fluid (prevents harm to kidneys)
1.5 hours Cisplatin (chemo #1)
30 min Gemzar (chemo #2)
2 hours fluid (clears out the kidneys after treatment.)

Before you come to chemo you have to put medication over your port to numb it (so you don't feel them access it) and cover it with a piece of saran wrap (so it doesn't get on your clothes.) Last night we ran out so I went to HEB to get more. This morning when I opened the saran wrap it was bright red for Christmas! So I am now known as the festive patient :)

In the waiting room this morning, I noticed three different people with McDonalds. I found it odd for all these patients to be eating that crap while trying to fight this disease. However, once I got back in the infusion room I found myself craving Mc Dees- something I haven't done in years. Sadly enough, I joined the group and Eric brought me an Egg McMuffin. It was delicious!

I scored the best seat in the infusion room today! Pretty good start to the day!

8 comments:

  1. Yay for Mickey Dees! Will be thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your festive wrapping!! Go for the grease, you know how good it tastes when you are hung over!!

    Hang in there!
    ~The Skeens

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally made me want a bacon egg mcmuffin!!!! Thinking of you today and hoping the time passes quickly!!!
    -Erin L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it went well - although Darryl says you should have gone for the McRib. =) Your positive spirit is an absolute inspiration and we love you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you today Stacie! All our love xxxx Juliet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacie you always make me laugh♥even when describing "1st Chemo". Next time get hashbrowns with your muffin!

    Love and Hugs
    Tony,Linda,Coco&Chevy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just laughed out loud at your judgement of the McDonald's breakfast, then your desire for the same thing. Too funny! Whatever, there is plenty of time for kale and fish when you don't have to sit in a treatment center all day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know we havent kept in touch over the years but I access your blog from Eric's FB page and love reading how well you're taking this challenge on and not losing your feisty sense of humor! xx

    ReplyDelete