Tuesday, November 15, 2011

For the Ladies

As I mentioned yesterday, I sat next to a lady, Jody, during my session. She was going through her last treatment for a second time with breast cancer. She was only 34 when she was originally diagnosed. Thank god she beat it again, but it was her story I wanted to share with all you ladies.

It was 6 years after her first time with cancer and she was still getting mammograms many times a year. She had Triple Negative breast cancer, so from what she was telling me, making it to the five year mark was a blessing but they will follow it very close for the rest of her life. This year she felt a bump during a self examination and called her doctor immediately. She had not one but TWO mammos that missed it. I was completely shocked to hear this. How on earth can you feel it, but it not show up on the mammos? Finally under her direct guidance they were able to locate it and perform surgery and chemo. My take home message for all you ladies is to take self exams VERY seriously and be your own advocate. If something feels funny to you, don't stop until you have received an answer you are comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment