Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Desserts No More

Most of you are very familiar with my love of desserts. 99% of the time I would rather just skip dinner and have something sweet, so my new knowledge is very disturbing.
I was given a sheet to prep for the upcoming PET scan and it detailed that for 36 hours before I am not to eat any sugar or refined carbs. I figured I could do anything for one day. Refined carbs, no problem; no sugar, fine but only for 36 hours. Still curious about the diet, I asked why you couldn't have these two items. Apparently, the way the PET detects cancer in the body is by locating areas that consume large amounts of glucose. What!!! Not only am I saddened by the fact that I simply have to cut most sugar out of my diet from now on, but really annoyed that my cancer has been enjoying my desserts!
I started reading Anticancer and it is a great book. It is an easy, interesting read for anyone, cancer or not. It details how all of us have cancer cells in our body and how diet changes can fuel or starve these wild cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment