Friday, August 26, 2011

First Oncology Appointment

I had my first appointment with the oncologist today. Dr. Chadha was really great. Apparently my biopsy was so unusual that it went for further review at the Mayo Clinic. A few of the pathologists looked at it as well as the Chair of Pathology. It just so happened they wrote Dr. Chadha a letter and he literally received it via email before he walked into my appointment. Mayo believes that it is bile duct cancer and based upon the tests I have done Dr. Chadha concurs. This is a HUGE difference for me. They believe that the liver/bile ducts are the primary site which means that is is not metastasized.
Next week, I have a PET scan to verify that it has not spread and that the current thinking is correct. Of equal importance, I meet with the oncology surgeon next week to determine if the tumor is resectable. We are praying really hard the the PET comes back clean everywhere else and that it can be resected.
Eric and I really appreciate all the kind calls and notes. It has made this nightmare of a week a little easier. We plan on hanging out with the girls this weekend and trying to live as normal as possible. Hayden got a Dora kick board and is pumped to bring it to the pool tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment